From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] codec for video embedded in presentation
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 22:17:22
1 On 2013-01-01, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > On 30 December 2012, at 11:39, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> The AVI container has been used by windows for a long time, so I'd say
6 >> chances are that it will work on more systems, but I can't say for sure.
7 >
8 > But h264 in an AVI is invalid.
9 >
10 > AVI is dated and just plain nasty.
11 >
12 > You should use something else (like h264 in an MP4) if you possibly can.
13
14 AVI is old, AVI has issues. AVI is not compatible with some
15 codecs. *But* AVI has been around for long enough to be supported by
16 many versions of Windows and Office, and what we're looking for here is
17 whatever offers the broadest support. I don't even think Windows (at
18 least up to 7) has a builtin h264 decoder. At least I remember having to
19 install codecs in Vista and 7 machines in order to view h264 Youtube
20 videos.
23 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
24 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/