From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DRM error: couldn't read SADs
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 10:23:55
On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 01:10:16 GMT Jack wrote:

> It's been a long time since I've needed to do it, and it was also due > to a (cheap?) KVM switch, but I think there are two things that might > help. First, if you boot the PC with that monitor connected, it might > actually read the EDID data. Even if not, if you can capture it (one > time use of a straigt DVI or VGA cable?) you can save it tp a file > using x11-misc/read-edid, and then there is a way to get kernel/X to > read that EDID file at startup instead of trying and failing to get it > directly from the monitor. If you can't find a reference, I'll dig and > try to figure out if it's kernel paramater or xorg.conf that you need > to mess with.
Yes, I remember something along those lines - reading EDID from a file instead of the device. I don't think it's that simple though, as the screen is being driven at the right resolution. I just get half-a-dozen or so errors reported during a full day. I'm expecting the bits to make a direct connection to arrive today, so fingers crossed ... -- Regards, Peter.