From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] dummy console
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:34:34
I upgraded from kernel 2.6.11 (gentoo-sources r4) to 2.6.12 (r6), and
lost my framebuffer console. No console whatsoever, actually, but xdm
starts OK. Checking .config, I see
 	# Console display driver support
 	#
 	CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
 	CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
 	CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=m
 	# CONFIG_FONTS is not set
 	CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
 	CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

I was under the impression that CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE is set only when
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE is unset. Wrong? I'm assuming that the dummy console
overrides the vga console...
There is no way to unset the ugly thing. I tried make menuconfig and
make xconfig. I tried commenting out that line.

The line in grub.conf:
kernel (hd1,2)/boot/linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hdb3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31a pci=usepirqmask

--
Jorge Almeida