From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC 4.1.1 Problems
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:32:36
1 On 5/28/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 > this security measure. In this case the tar file changed without changing the
3 > name after you originally installed the package (or after it was downloaded
4 > to the mirror that you are using...). This change could be a bugfix. By
5 > making your own digest you don't get this bugfix...
6
7 I just have to say that if upstream authors include a bug-fix without
8 releasing a new version (and a differently named tarball), they need a
9 good clubbing.
10
11 I can see a reason to release the same version of software with a
12 documentation update (readme, authors, known issues, faq, etc), which
13 would cause a different tarball with the same name.
14
15 But if any of the sources change, I feel that should *always* be a new version.
16
17 -Richard
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list