From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT - Need MythTV setup help (resend)
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:07:45
1 On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 08:50 -0800, Bob Sanders wrote:
2 > On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 23:17:27 -0600
3 > Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > I tried the test "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg" and opening it in mplayer
7 > > and all I got was the blank screen.
8 >
9 > Blank screen indicates no signal.
10 >
11 > > I tried it with /dev/video24 and
12 > > got static
13 >
14 > Typical tuner input, no channel, aka white noise.
15 >
16 > > and with /dev/video32 I got weird polygonal images.
17 >
18 > Probably a station close by, but not tuned in - a tuner input or possible the FM radio
19 > port.
20 >
21 > > I think
22 > > mythfrontend is freezing up after that 1.5 seconds because it takes
23 > > awhile to get back to the menu screen. Why is /dev/video spitting out
24 > > nothing now, when it was just fine before I followed the mythtv howto?
27 > Typically a channel and input needs to be switched on before anything will display.
28 > Another way to test is to listen if there is audio, but the screen is still blank. That indicates
29 > an incorrect display setting, possibly in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
30 >
31 > Bob
32
33 I managed to get the cat /dev/video0 test to work by issuing "ivtvctl -p
34 4" (4 is my tuner), but it won't work with mythtv - all I get is the
35 blank screen. That and my mythbackend keeps dying. It leaves no log
36 files. How can I diagnose why it's dying? You've mentioned more than
37 once that the problem might be with my xorg.conf file. That file was
38 generated by X -configure. What changes would I need to make to the
39 xorg.conf file?
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list