From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc ebuild is hogging CPU?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:17:02
1 On 06/26/2011 12:56 PM, walt wrote:
2 > Anyone emerged gcc lately? I've been doing it all day (it seems)
3 > so I finally used top to see if something besides gcc is using cpu.
4 >
5 > Sure enough, emerge is constantly using 50% cpu while the compiler
6 > is using the other half.
7
8 Well, so far I've tracked the problem down to enabling the graphite
9 useflag while emerging >=gcc-4.4.x. Disabling the graphite useflag
10 returns the cpu usage to normal while emerging gcc.
11
12 Could I ask some kind geek to try enabling the graphite useflag and
13 then to begin emerging gcc, please? You don't need to sit through
14 the whole emerge -- five minute is more than enough to confirm this
15 bug if you see it too.
16
17 Just run top while emerging gcc and see who uses most cpu (after the
18 sources are bunzipped and the configure scripts have started running.)
19
20 Many thanks.