From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Maximizing memory with 32bit
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:41:30
1 On Wednesday 02 June 2010 16:00:02 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Johannes Kimmel writes:
3 > > On 06/02/2010 03:27 PM, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > > But: free -m shows only 2787 MB of total memory. I know I cannot use
5 > > > all the 4G, but shouldn't there be at least 3GB or even a little
6 > > > more available? What is your output of free -m?
7 >
8 > [...]
9 >
10 > > Probably your graphicscard uses the rest of the memory.
11 >
12 > Oh, thanks! Did not think about this. It's an ATI Radeon HD4300 onboard
13 > card, so I guess this must be the cause. Seems like I will have to do the
14 > migration to 64bit then.
15 >
16 > Wonko
19 Wonko,
20
21 If your graphics card uses up the rest of the memory, moving up to 64bit won't
22 help either.
23
24 Check in your BIOS to see if you can reduce the amount your graphics card
25 uses. For 'normal' desktop use, around 64MB should be more then sufficient and
26 if you have 4GB physically in your system you should then see more memory
27 appear.
30 Joost Roeleveld