From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 19:24:54
1 On 30/08/2013 16:44, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-30 10:34 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 30/08/2013 16:29, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Why would there be a problem if someone decided to create a 3rd party
5 >>> overlay *not* part of the official gentoo portage tree that contained
6 >>> *only* the zfs stuff, and when this overlay was installed combined with
7 >>> a zfs keyword for the kernel, portage would then pull in the required
8 >>> files, and automagically build a kernel with an up to date version of
9 >>> zfs properly and fully integrated?
10 >>>
11 >>> Would this not work, *and* have no problems with licensing?
12 >
13 >> there is no problem with licensing in that case.
14 >> The ebuild could even go in the portage tree, as Gentoo is not
15 >> redistributing sources when it publishes an ebuild.
16 >
17 > Thanks Alan! Just the answer I wanted.
18 >
19 > Ok, so... how hard would this be then? What would the chances be that
20 > this could actually happen? I'll happily go open a bug for it if you
21 > think the work would be minimal...
22 >
23 > It seems to me that I can't be the only one who would like to see this
24 > happen?
28 Ahem, Mr Bothwick!
29
30 Our friend with the thing about free lunches needs you to demonstrate
31 your penmanship, considering you have some proven results in this area.
32
33 :-)
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com