From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Simple to upgrade Linux distro
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 14:02:05
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > A bit of a update. I went to my storage building and found a lot of
4 > rigs mostly with parts missing but found one gem in the bunch that was
5 > all there. I suspect someone put it there when I wasn't at home and
6 > knows where I keep them but it could be one I forgot about too. Anyway,
7 > I got four 1Gb sticks of ram in and am running memtest right now. So
8 > far, no errors. It has a small hard drive in it but not sure if it will
9 > be big enough for everyday use. May have to remove the one from the
10 > current rig she has. It should be big enough for me to test some
11 > distros out tho. ;-)
12 >
13 > Oh, single core running at 2.8GHz. It ain't blazing fast but it's
14 > likely faster than what she currently has plus the memory will help a
15 > lot. It's a older Dell. It has that flip up front that covers the
16 > CD/DVD drives. Some may recall all the torn up CD/DVD drives that
17 > caused. :/
18 >
19 > Dale
20 >
21 > :-) :-)
25 A even better update. That CPU has TWO cores. That's better than one
26 core at least. I wish it had a bigger CPU heat sink. I like them to be
27 big and have large fans. ;-)
28
29 I've installed Linux Mint with Mate. It's impressive so far. Going to
30 plug in a camera and memory card and see what that does but so far, it's
31 pretty nice. I haven't even figured out how to customize it and it is
32 pretty nice.
33
34 The updater is GUI and easy. It works a lot like Mageia since it gives
35 a little pop-up and you just click to tell it to go update. This should
36 work well for her but might check out that Manjaro as well. It sounds
37 Mandrake-ish. lol
38
39 Thanks to all for the suggestions and info. I don't think Linux Mint
40 was even on the radar. Mate sure wasn't.
41
42 Dale
43