From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SPAM] - Re: [gentoo-user] rsyncd problem... - Email found in subject
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:59:03
1 On May 31, 2006, at 7:07 AM, Anthony Roy wrote:
2
3 > Hi John,
4 >
5 >> unless you say otherwise, rsync uses ssh. unless you set it up to
6 >> use key authentication, ssh will require a password.
7 >
8 > Ah. Makes sense. How do I tell it *not* to use ssh? As I said, I don't
9 > need it to be secure, just simple - the rsync server won't be exposed
10 > outside of the firewall.
11 >
12 I normally hate this answer, but i looked it up and it's more meat
13 than you want to read via email. man rsync has a section on using an
14 rsh program...basically, it's an argument to --rsh=
15
16 so read the man page for rsync, it goes into a lot of detail.
17
18 Also, you might consider that a crust defense (i.e. relying solely on
19 a firewall) is contrary to current security best practices. I
20 normally favor external-facing firewalls, internal firewalls on each
21 box, and encrypting and securing all transports that can be. but if
22 it's just a home network...maybe not such a big deal. personally,
23 there are too many windows boxes on my home network for that kind of
24 trust. and you can NEVER trust the kids :)
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list