From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdev and lxde
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:49:30
1 On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 09:29:49AM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote
2 > I am installing a new system and would like to go udev/systemd less.
3 >
4 > I have dumped gnome3 for lxde and find it a lot more usable and stable
5 > but I would like to know if anyone has gone down the mdev and lxde path?
6
7 I use ICEWM (see my sig), but testing for lxde on my system is
8 relatively simple. Note all the ebuild subdirectories in
9 /usr/portage/lxde-base To build all of these, I have to unmask dbus,
10 and add the "lxde" flag for x11-misc/obconf. I.e...
11
12 USE="lxde policykit" emerge -pv lxappearance lxde-common lxde-icon-theme lxde-meta lxdm lxinput lxlauncher lxmenu-data lxpanel lxpolkit lxrandr lxsession lxsession-edit lxshortcut lxtask lxterminal menu-cache
13
14 ...shows (on my machine)...
15 Total: 39 packages (39 new), Size of downloads: 19,718 kB
16
17 If you don't mind dbus, you should be OK without udev. dbus is
18 required by lxpolkit and lxdm. I don't know if lxde will function
19 without lxpolkit and lxdm, but they didn't get pulled in, when I ran...
20
21 USE="lxde" emerge -pv lxappearance lxde-common lxde-icon-theme lxde-meta lxinput lxlauncher lxmenu-data lxpanel lxrandr lxsession lxsession-edit lxshortcut lxtask lxterminal menu-cache
22
23 ...shows (on my machine)...
24 Total: 33 packages (33 new), Size of downloads: 15,149 kB
25
26 Check on an lxde forum if you want further info on whether lxpolkit
27 and lxdm are really required for lxde.
28
29 BTW, Google's Chrome/Chromium "browser" wants udev and dbus. dbus is
30 an absolute must. I think you can get away with putting udev in
31 package.provided. Apparently, it's only needed for gamepad support.
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
35 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications