From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth is impossible
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:07:12
1 >>>> You mentioned that the headset's PIN can't be changed.  Couldn't
2 >>>> anybody pair with it if they enter 0000?
3 >>
4 >>> They can't because you have to hold the button down to initiate the
5 >>> pairing process.
6 >>
7 >> Even if they could, what's the point? It would only mean that you would
8 >> be able to make and receive calls using their phone :-O
9 >
10 > I have this notion that the security implications are a little wider than
11 > this.
12 >
13 > If one could pair with any arbitrary headset, without the requirement to
14 > hold the button down, one could surely (?) pair with that headset and use it
15 > as a bugging device when it wasn't in use by the owner.
16 >
17 > Stroller.
18
19 The way my Motorola H560 works, when you switch it on, it's in pairing
20 mode for 30 seconds or something. So I suppose it's susceptible to
21 this type of thing every time I turn it on.
22
23 - Grant