From: "Crístian Viana" <cristiandeives@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless...
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 04:30:27
1 KDE 4 doesn't have an official network manager yet. you can use
2 net-misc/wicd, it works nice.
3
4 On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:17 AM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > I have wireless working (b43legacy driver for the Dell Wireless Broadcom)
7 > through a static configuration in /etc/conf.d/net - basically:
8 >
9 > essid_wlan0="myWLAN"
10 > key_MYWLAN="somekey"
11 > config_MYWLAN=( "dhcp" )
12 > preferred_APS= ( "myWLAN" )
13 >
14 > I would like to use a tool like WPA Supplicant instead so I can have a more
15 > dynamic configuration.
16 > I've tried to setup WPA supplicant but haven't been able to get it to work.
17 >
18 > My last attempt was with:
19 >
20 > modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
21 > wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
22 > wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
23 >
24 > I also tried the iwconfig setup:
25 >
26 > modules=( "iwconfig" )
27 > iwconfig_wlan0="mode managed"
28 > wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
29 >
30 > Both these were based on configurations I found while researching gentoo
31 > wireless configurations:
32 >
33 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wireless_Networking
34 >
35 > the wpa_supplicant man page possibly suggests uses "-Dbroadcom", but the
36 > following supports "-Dwext" since I have the b43legacy driver working
37 > (firmware extracted using b43-fwcutter a while back; dmesg reports version
38 > 0x127).
39 >
40 > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
41 >
42 > I have both the iwconfig utilities and wpa supplicant installed. When I
43 > used wpa supplicant with either configuration it would just keep searching.
44 >
45 > Now, my wireless configuration is currently WEP; and I'd like to upgrade to
46 > WPA/WPA2 once I can get a wireless tool on the system as well.
47 >
48 > Is there anything I'm doing wrong with the configuration above?
49 >
50 > Also - what is the correct GUI for configuring connections under KDE4? I
51 > know of the WPA Supplicant GUI; and the GNOME GUI; but would like something
52 > under more directly KDE4.
53 >
54 > KNemo just puts up monitors that are pretty useless (though look pretty).
55 >
56 > TIA,
57 >
58 > Ben
59 >
60 > P.S. It seems my Linksys WRT54G v3 needs a firmware update for WPA2. So
61 > right now, I'd just like to be able to configure dynamically for my WEP
62 > network; then I'll focus on going to WPA/WPA2.
69 Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
70 Sent from Campinas, SP, Brazil