From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD borked: SysFS removed
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:05:06
1 On 08/16/2010 05:13 PM, James wrote:
2
3 > Kaffeine croaks with ///dev/hda error
4
5 Looks like you are still using the deprecated disk drivers, and you'd
6 probably be better off getting rid of those drivers completely and using
7 the newer replacements.
8
9 e.g. in 'make menuconfig' select the Device Drivers item and look at line 8:
10 < > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED) --->
11
12 Notice I have that option un-selected, and I'd suggest you try the same.
13
14 Now look two lines below that:
15 <*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers --->
16
17 I have an older machine, so my DVD is supported by the VIA PATA driver,
18 but your motherboard may use something else, of course.
19
20 The point is: my DVD is a regular old PATA drive, but because of the
21 newer device driver it now shows up this way:
22
23 $ls -l /dev/dvd
24 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-08-17 04:46 /dev/dvd -> sr0
25
26 I didn't do anything to cause that. udev took care of it without my help,
27 and everything Just Worked.
28
29 Well, not quite true. I did change my /etc/fstab, but I'm now using disk
30 labels in fstab instead of device names. If you still use device names
31 you'll need to change /dev/hd* to /dev/sd* in fstab when using the new
32 disk drivers.