From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 21:46:48
1 On 25/09/2013 23:18, Grant wrote:
2 > I'm trying to reduce the number of systems I spend time managing. My
3 > previous plan was to set up multiseat on a small number of systems.
4 > Now I'm wondering if it would be better to use multiple systems with
5 > identical hardware and manage them in some sort of an optimized way so
6 > that each set of identical hardware behaves as much like a single
7 > machine as possible for management. I could use small SoC systems so
8 > I don't have to worry about sourcing components later. Is there a
9 > good tool or framework for this sort of thing?
12 The solution you pick depends heavily on how many of these identical
13 machines you have.
14
15 For some small-ish number (gut feel tells me up to around 10 or so), you
16 could do what I do for my development vms[2]:
17
18 - have 1 decent spec'ed machine as the master and buildhost
19 - share /etc/portage/, $PORTDIR, /var/packages and /var/distfiles to all
20 clients from some central location (NFS works really well for this)
21 - for each package you want to have on a client, emerge it on the
22 buildhost with the -b option (create binary packages)
23 - emerge stuff on the clients with the -k (or possibly -K) option to use
24 binary packages. Everything should show up in purple. If anything is a
25 different colour, emerge that package on the buildhost and remerge it on
26 the client.
27 - for awesome street cred geek-points, install clusterssh and do all
28 your clients in parallel[1]
29
30 As long as you share important directories to each client, things stay
31 consistent. What you essentially achieve is "build once-install many times"
34 However, and I'm likely to get shot down for this here, I think you
35 *really* need to reconsider whether Gentoo is even what you should be
36 using for this. Put aside emotional attachments to your fav distro and
37 take a long hard critical look at your pain-gain ratio. If all you
38 really need is standard user-type gui stuffs on each client, what is
39 Gentoo really buying you (other than the thrill of watching gcc output
40 scroll by over and over and over....)
41
42 Use gentoo by all means on your central server to get exactly the
43 features you want (Gentoo's strong point), but ona bunch of regular
44 clients... I dunno, Ubuntu or Fedora are hard to beat for that...
48 [1] if you haven't played with clusterssh do yourself a favour and do
49 so. there's something hugely awe-inspiring about typing
50 cssh host1 host2 host3 host4 host5 host6 ...
51 and watching 6 xterms pop up and all 6 run the same commands that you
52 type into the controller window.
53
54 [2] this sounds like I should take my own advice... but oddly Gentoo is
55 ideal for how I use them. I can upgrade and downgrade almost any app to
56 whatever version the developer says is on prod, and enable/disable USE
57 to get the same feature set, and do it all in 10 minutes. No binary
58 distro lets me do that :-)
61 Alan McKinnon
62 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com