From: stosss <stosss@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:08:55
1 On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 7:28 AM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > ubiquitous1980 wrote:
3 >
4 >>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2006/07/msg00059.html
5 >
6 >> With "sudo su - " the man pages do not have ESC throughout.  I have
7 >> learned sudo su from my ubuntu days and I am only guessing that this is
8 >> bad practice and that the correct command is $ sudo su -
9 >
10 > No need to guess. Messing with superuser privileges without a proper
11 > superuser environment (paths etc.) is considered bad from a security
12 > point of view; for instance, an malicious application could be installed
13 > in your user home dir, prepend the path to this to your local user $PATH
14 > and whenever you do "su" (without -) you could invoke this app with
15 > superuser privileges...
16 > So to summarize: The link above (debian.org) explains it quite well and
17 > yes, I would say it's a bad habit to omit -. :-)
18
19 7 years ago a veteran Linux user taught me to always use su - for the
20 very reason you stated.