From: Roman Zilka <rzilka@××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync for backup, can anybody help
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:41:59
1 > I wanted to create the empty directories on the backup i.e. run, dev, also
2
3 Add something like this to the exclude-list:
4 /dev/*
5 /var/run/*
6 ...
7 That'll copy the dir itself, but not its contents.
8
9 > directory links i.e. lib to lib64
10
11 I don't fully understand here. You have a '-a' (even a redundant '-l')
12 in the argument list - symlinks should be created on the target
13 location.
14
15 By the way, your sync cmd seems a bit odd:
16 -l is redundant if -a is specified
17 -C used while syncing a whole / might exclude some needed stuff
18 -H is what you usually want while syncing a whole /
19 --exclude items without any '/' might be dangerous (I suppose you meant
20 to exclude /var/run, /sys, /tmp, /boot etc. and not every file named
21 'run', 'sys', 'tmp' or 'boot' in the entire filesystem. Your current
22 cmd might 'exclude', for
23 instance, /usr/include/sys, /etc/runlevels/boot, /usr/src/linux*/arch/*/boot
24 and most likely more. Just a note for the case this isn't what you
25 actually want.)
26
27 -rz
28 --