From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 11:25:55
1 On 05/06/14 14:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:34 AM, Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Unfortunately, the advocates and implementers made some major political
4 >> choices when they (apparently deliberately) chose to put the systemd
5 >> stuff in /usr/lib instead of /lib. It was pointed out that this
6 >> abrogated certain parts of the FHS, forced those who would like to adopt
7 >> it to *not* being able to continue using their machines they way they
8 >> wished to (I.e. they had to choose between several potentially major
9 >> changes to do so -- don't have a separate /usr or be forced to use a
10 >> kernel initrd/initramfs method in order to do so.)
11 > My understanding is that the systemd developers intend for systemd to
12 > not be installed in /usr unless /lib and so on are symlinks to their
13 > counterparts in /usr (ie the /usr-merge is completed).
14
15 Correct. As in, if you git clone system repository, and run ./autogen.sh
16 on it,
17 it will recommend options that will put systemd to /, not /usr
18 And multiple systemd upstream developers think it's an bad idea to install
19 systemd to /usr if the /usr-merge is not complete, Kay, Lennart, and others
20 have said it out loud on ML and #systemd, Freenode
21 So, it's entirely Gentoo systemd maintainers decision to install into /usr
22 even without the /usr-merge
25 > I think the reason so much stuff is migrating to /usr is the sense
26 > that keeping things split up is becoming more hassle than it is worth
27 > due to all the vertical integration. If you have a bluetooth keyboard
28 > then you're going to be hard-pressed to use your system without /usr
29 > mounted. That is the standard example, but the sense is that this is
30 > the way the wind is blowing. Virtually every distro out there uses an
31 > initramfs anyway - we're a bit of an aberration in that it seems that
32 > using an initramfs is rare among Gentoo users.
33 >
34 > Just look at an initramfs as the new root filesystem. There really
35 > isn't anything you could do with a shell without /usr mounted that you
36 > can't do with a shell in an initramfs.
40 That'd be accurate.