From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Microcode update AMD
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 20:11:16
1 On Monday 17 January 2011 20:19:04 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> [11-01-17 20:16]:
3 > > On Monday 17 January 2011 18:21:48 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > I have two questions:
7 > > > 1) Do I have to enable microcode updates in the BIOS of my
8 > > > Crosshair
9 > > >
10 > > > IV Formula to activate microcodes push in the CPU by the
11 > > > module
12 > > > "microcode" ? (AMD Phenom X6 1090T)
13 > >
14 > > you ALWAYS have to activate that! This way the bios updates the
15 > > microcode with the latest version it is carrying around. Not activating
16 > > that option is really, really stupid. For many reasons. It is also
17 > > (almost) completely unrelated to that blob.
18 > >
19 > > That blob is for the OS so you can upload an even more recent version of
20 > > microcode. In case your bios sucks. For example.
21 > >
22 > > > 2) Does anyone know, what these microcodes do? They are fixes
23 > > > for...
24 > > >
25 > > > ...what?
26 > >
27 > > the CPU. All CPUs use microcode. For decades. Google, or go straight to
28 > > wikipedia.
29 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode
30 >
31 > Cool down. I know for waht microcodes are good for.
32 >
33 > My question means: What specific bugs/features of my CPU get fixed,
34 > when I use the microcde included in the recent microcode update???
35
36 nobody knows.