From: "Conway S. Smith" <beolach@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is an Intel motherboard RAID better or worse than software RAID?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:14:50
1 On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:54:20 +0200
2 Wolfgang Liebich <Wolfgang.Liebich@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > <SNIP>
6 > >
7 > > the howtos on gentoo-wiki worked well for me.
8 >
9 > I'm working with them, too. Just one question remains: I want to use
10 > udev. Do I have to create the md devices or does udev that for me?
13 udev will do it for you. But make sure your initramfs init script
14 unmounts /sys & /proc. On the box I'm working on setting up it
15 wasn't unmounting /sys on the initramfs, so when it switched to the
16 real root it thought /sys was already mounted & didn't mount /sys
17 under the real root, which meant that udev didn't work - which took
18 me a while to figure out.
22 > > > - Put the root partition on another RAID1 (I thought about
23 > > > putting the root filesystem into my LVM setup, too -- it is
24 > > > REALLY annoying if the root partition get's to small),
25 > >
26 > > yeah, but if you have 20+ gb root is always big enough ;) AFAIK
27 > > lvm kills barriers. You use raid for better data security. So
28 > > using lvm is a bit.. contra productive.
29 >
30 > Sorry, I'm neither a LVM nor a RAID export - could you please
31 > elaborate on that?
32 > I like LVM because of the convenience it adds.
35 Write barriers are a feature to allow write caching on the hard disks
36 w/out endangering filesystem integrity. Write caching helps
37 performance significantly, but also allows the disk to re-order write
38 requests - the disk may actually write a write-request that was
39 received later before a write-request that was received earlier,
40 which in some situations can lead to filesystem corruption. Write
41 barriers are a special type of request that the disk is not allowed
42 to reorder around - everything the disk receives before the write
43 barrier must be written before anything received after the write
44 barrier. But in order to work, write barriers need to be supported
45 by every layer from the filesystem down to the actual disk; if your
46 filesystem is on top of LVM & LVM doesn't support write barriers,
47 then you won't be able to use them, and if write caching is enabled
48 on the actual disks, you may be risking fileystem corruption. The
49 Device Mapper kernel subsystem (dm-crypt, dm-raid, LVM, etc.) does
50 not support write barriers - but neither does MD RAID except for
51 RAID1, so write caching is dangerous except for filesystems directly
52 on disk partitions or on RAID1 (if the RAID1 is directly on disk
53 partitions).
54
55 I personally decided against using LVM because from what I read it's
56 difficult to correctly stripe-align LVM, and incorrect alignment can
57 have a very big performance impact.
60 Good luck,
61 Conway S. Smith
62 --
63 The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all
64 learned. (Bruce Ediger, bediger@××××××××.org, in comp.os.linux.misc,
65 on X interfaces.)