From: Victor Ivanov <vic.m.ivanov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 12:08:01
1 On 27/08/2020 02:31, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 >     - SRS (mail-filter/libsrs2) []
3 >        - emerge -a mail-filter/libsrs2
4 >
5 I have been quietly following this discussion and I've seen SRS being
6 mentioned a number of times.
7
8 Now, I know what SRS _does_ (perhaps not fully?) to prevent unintended
9 rejection by a receiving MTA due to SPF policy and I know it's highly
10 recommended if not mandatory for any sensible MTA set-up (allegedly).
11
12 However, I'm less aware of the actual use cases where it is absolutely
13 necessary to prevent above issues with SPF. Is SRS only relevant for
14 MTAs that do any sort of forwarding/open relay?
15
16 Oddly enough, I find some of the explanations I came across (including
17 Wikipedia) fairly atrocious compared to SPF, DKIM, and DMARC which are
18 perfectly explained and their use-cases are very clear. Though frankly,
19 these three are fairly self explanatory themselves for anyone with
20 technical background.
21
22 I have been running my own MTA for just under a decade without SRS (but
23 with the rest of the above) and never had issues with delivery - be that
24 local or remote. However, I have explicitly disabled open relay and do
25 not make use of any forwarding maps.
26
27 It makes me wonder - am I missing something and have I just been lucky?
28
29 - V