From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiseat -- LTSP?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:20:41
1 > I've been in the same situation a short time ago.
2 > Finally I decided to buy a cheap notebook (ASUS AMD 1GHz, 8 Gb RAM)
3 > for 265 Euro, only -- running Gentoo, of course.
4 > I've installed a private wireless network.
5 > So my wife can sit anywhere and she can still connect to our "family
6 > server" if she likes.
7 >
8 > If I had to buy a monitor, graphics card, keyboard and a better
9 > power supply, that would have beeen more expensive.
10 > Furthermore the notebook solution is more flexible.
11
12 If we're comparing hardware cost vs. hardware performance and
13 flexibility, the cheap notebook could win. The #1 priority for me is
14 minimizing sys admin duties though. I would need a Gentoo system for
15 duties like router and firewall anyway, and if I build the multiseat
16 capabilities into that same system, I have at least 6 workstations and
17 zero systems to administrate because of them.
18
19 - Grant
22 >> >> I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
23 >> >> keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo
24 >> computer.
25 >> >> The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
26 >> >> power requirements would also be minimized.
27 >> >>
28 >> >> Apparently this is called "multiseat" and native support in Xorg
29 >> might
30 >> >> not be ready for primetime:
31 >> >>
32 >> >> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat
33 >> >> http://vignatti.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/multiseat-roadmap
34 >> >>
35 >> >> There is a configuration tool for Xorg multiseat called MDM:
36 >> >>
37 >> >> http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm
38 >> >>
39 >> >> but from what I've read it isn't ideal.  Besides Xorg multiseat
40 >> I've
41 >> >> read about LTSP and a few others:
42 >> >>
43 >> >> http://www.ltsp.org
44 >> >> http://www.thinstation.org
45 >> >> http://automseat.sourceforge.net
46 >> >> http://www.openthinclient.org
47 >> >>
48 >> >> There are also a lot of proprietary options.  Is LTSP the way to
49 >> go?
50 >> >
51 >> > It may be, but as with all thin client models you would need a
52 >> terminal
53 >> > computer for each user.
54 >> >
55 >> > If you only have one machine and monitors, keyboards and mice for
56 >> each user
57 >> > then you'll need multiple video cards (and a strong power supply)
58 >> for your
59 >> > only PC.  In this case something like
60 >> http://automseat.sourceforge.net may be
61 >> > more appropriate.  However, I have not used anything like this set
62 >> up to offer
63 >> > an opinion on performance.
64 >> >
65 >> > At work we use thin clients running Debian to serve MSWindows
66 >> server
67 >> desktop
68 >> > and apps to users.  This setup uses the Citrix ica protocol, but
69 >> I'm
70 >> thinking
71 >> > that FreeNX coupled with VNC or relevant KDE or Gnome remote
72 >> desktop
73 >> > implementation would probably work nicely and offer LAN and remote
74 >> connection
75 >> > security at the same time.
76 >> > --
77 >> > Regards,
78 >> > Mick
79 >>
80 >> If I throw out installing a separate OS on a separate machine for
81 >> each
82 >> workstation and all of the proprietary thin-client protocols, I think
83 >> I have 3 options:
84 >>
85 >> 1. Connect monitors, USB keyboards, and USB mice directly to a server
86 >> with multiple video cards.  I found a motherboard with 6 PCI-E slots:
87 >>
88 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508
89 >>
90 >> 6 video cards could be installed for 6 workstations if the server
91 >> goes
92 >> headless, and even more if multi-headed video cards are used.  Xorg
93 >> requires some special configuration for this but this discussion from
94 >> 2010 sounds like it's something that is actually done:
95 >>
96 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-836950-start-0.html
97 >>
98 >> These guys got it working in 2006:
99 >>
100 >> http://www.linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
101 >>
102 >> 2. Set up a separate thin client for each workstation and run LTSP on
103 >> the server.  This seems inferior to #1 because it requires setting up
104 >> and maintaining the LTSP server and client configuration, NFS,
105 >> xinetd,
106 >> tftp, dnsmasq, and PXE-boot.  Bandwidth would also be limited
107 >> compared
108 >> to #1 and hardware and power requirements would be much greater.
109 >>
110 >> 3. Run a Plugable thin client for each workstation:
111 >>
112 >> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PXPPNA
113 >>
114 >> This likely requires running "Userful Multiseat Linux" on my server
115 >> which is only packaged up for Ubuntu.  The Plugable thin client
116 >> connects to the server via USB 2.0 which makes me wonder if it could
117 >> be made to work without Userful Multiseat Linux as a USB video card
118 >> and input devices, but I imagine drivers for the video card and
119 >> bandwidth over USB could be a problem.
120 >>
121 >> I think #1 is the way to go but I'd love to hear anyone else's
122 >> opinion
123 >> on that.  Has anyone here ever set up multiseat in Xorg?
124 >>
125 >> - Grant