From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eclipse portage package
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:06:01
1 Chuck Robey schrieb:
2 > I was checking to see what version of eclipse seems to have a portage package,
3 > and I was kinda shocked that the package seems a bit outdated. 3.4 is the
4 > current portage package, but eclipse has been at 3.5 for a good while now.
5 > Seeing as the eclipse website has a linux binary 3.5+ package, unless I've
6 > overlooked something available from gentoo (I would be overjoyed to have made
7 > that mistake) then I'm going to be forced to see how to coax portage to allow me
8 > to use that eclipse site binary package to sub for ALL eclipse packages.
9 >
10 > Anyone know how to get portage to make externally supplied binaries to supply
11 > portage eclipse dependencies? All of the huge number of eclipse plugins can be
12 > done without using portage just fine, but the eclipse itself, that I would
13 > really rather use a portage ebuild for installation.
17 While I totally buy into the whole package managing and distribution
18 system and consider it the best thing since sliced bread, I suggest you
19 make an exception for eclipse.
20
21 The problem is that eclipse contains its own package management for its
22 plugins. This doesn't work very well with a global installation in /opt
23 or /usr where a normal user should not have write rights.
24
25 It is much better to have every user download and install eclipse into
26 their home-directories. This has the advantage that every user can
27 contain its own set of plugins and extensions.
28
29 I personally have several versions of eclipse installed: One for J2EE
30 and a much leaner version for C++. Having one version with all plugins
31 would make eclipse unbearably slow.
32
33 Hope this helps
34 Florian Philipp