From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Heads up: A reason *NOT* to have xorg.conf file
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 03:56:19
1 I was getting ready to post about X on my hot backup machine suddenly
2 not working. I had gotten various logfiles and diagnostics together.
3 The last step was to compare xorg.conf files. My current desktop does
4 not have an xorg.conf file. I renamed xorg.conf on the hot backup and
5 ran startx to get a new log file with error output... and X started up
6 just fine, thank you.
7
8 My best guess is that the problem was due to a recent update to
9 x11-base/xorg-server On both my systems it now requires USE="glamor".
10 This may require changes to xorg.conf. On my main desktop, with no
11 xorg.conf, X does the detection and configuration "auto-magically". The
12 hot backup machine would have an old xorg.conf with old (i.e. wrong)
13 settings for the updated xorg-server.
16 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
17 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications