From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Handbrake: Is it is or is it ain't in portage
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 02:03:31
1 On 16 Aug 2010, at 01:43, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 > There's a program I really want to use, and I was hoping it existed
4 > in Gentoo.
5 > It's called handbrake. eix can't find it. equery cannot find it.
6 > But there's
7 > a bug (#89432) filed against it, with the last comment (#111) just 4
8 > days ago.
9 >
10 > So where in the portage is handbrake-0.9.4.ebuild?
11
12 To expand on Dale's answer, Handbrake is unlikely ever to be in Portage.
13
14 The Handbrake developers use the poor practice of snapshotting the
15 upstream libraries they depend upon (I'm not sure if they also patch
16 or modify them, instead of pushing those changes upstream) and then
17 packaging those libs with Handbrake (in a particularly ugly way, too,
18 one might add).
19
20 So when you install Handbrake you download a bunch of additional
21 libraries (which you likely already have installed on your system) and
22 it is compiled against those versions.
23
24 The correct way to do this would be for the handbrake developers to
25 simply specify which libraries are required and link against the ones
26 already installed on your system. If a specific version of a library
27 is required - but generally speaking it shouldn't be - then that can
28 be done as part of the ebuild / makefile dependency checking.
29
30 The link you posted to handbrake-0.9.4.ebuild is an ebuild. You can
31 install it something like this:
32
33 # mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/media-video/handbrake/
34 # curl http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=229397 > \
35 /usr/local/portage/media-video/handbrake/handbrake-0.9.4.ebuild
36 # ebuild manifest /usr/local/portage/media-video/handbrake/
37 handbrake-0.9.4.ebuild
38 # emerge handbrake
39
40 It's a shitty ebuild, and it has to be, because that's inherent in the
41 way the Handbrake devs "package" their program, but the ebuild does
42 install and work the way the Handbrake devs intended.
43
44 I would have thought you'd already know this if you had fully read bug
45 #89432.
46
47 I know that transcoding is a bit of a black art, but I'm not convinced
48 Handbrake is actually that good.
49
50 Stroller.