From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT - Why does gcc depend on gtk+?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 19:02:36
1 I wanted to free up some space on my server box. I was going through
2 trying to find what packages could be safely removed. I don't have any
3 graphical apps on my server box except gvim, which is built with -gtk.
4 When I ran equery depends gtk+, it came up with gcc:
5
6 bullet ~ # equery depends gtk+
7 [ Searching for packages depending on gtk+... ]
8 app-text/ghostscript-esp-8.15.3
9 sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r2
10 sys-devel/gcc-3.3.6
11
12 Why is this? I ran emerge -pv gcc:
13
14 bullet ~ # emerge -pv gcc
15
16 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
17
18 Calculating dependencies... done!
19 [ebuild R ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r2 USE="fortran (-altivec)
20 -bootstrap -boundschecking -build -doc -gcj -gtk (-hardened) -ip28
21 -ip32r10k (-multilib) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp
22 -objc -test -vanilla" 0 kB
23
24 Total size of downloads: 0 kB
25
26 Also -gtk. Here's the USE line from make.conf:
27
28 USE="-rsvg -esound -esd mode-owner apache2 -oss apm -alsa -arts -avi
29 innodb berkdb bitmap-fonts -cdr crypt cups -doc encode fortran f77
30 foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm -gnome gstreamer -gtk -gtk2 imlib jpeg kde libg
31 ++ libwww -mad mikmod -motif -mpeg ncurses -nls -oggvorbis -opengl pam
32 pdflib png ppds python -qt -qt3 -qt4 -quicktime readline samba sasl -sdl
33 spell ssl tcltk tcpd truetype usb -X xml xml2 -xmms -xv zlib x86 imap
34 tetex mysql threads ithreads pgsql virus-scan perl kerberos acl oav
35 libclamav offensive -ipv6 bind-mysql slp dhcp sendmail mpm-leader pcre
36 unicode session examples perlsuid pcre nptl nptlonly"
37
38 All -gtk. I've recently completed an emerge -ND world (took all last
39 week), so why does gtk+ still claim gcc? Is this real?
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list