From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules]
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:22:20
1 Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 >> OTOH, the good news is that a newbie like me can install an outdated
4 >> package (e.g. Vidalia); resolve dependencies; uninstall the portage
5 >> version; download and compile the current version from the developer.
6 >
7 > If you know how to do those things, learning how to make the ebuild that
8 > does it isn't that much more to do. Then, instead of just filing the
9 > bug report, you can submit an ebuild as a suggested fix with it and help
10 > out. Linux works best when the users take part in it!
11
12 Fair enough!
13
14 My concerns with this, other than my abilities, are:
15
16 1. Showing proper respect to the guy who pioneered the effort to date,
17 and who may simply be out of town. (This disrespect would be alleviated
18 if there was an official policy encouraging "volunteer ebuilds".)
19
20 2. He won't be there to proofread my work anyway, so therefor my ebuild
21 would still not get into the disribution. (This could be alleviated if
22 there was a "designated backup" for each package - someone who could
23 either temporarily fill, or accept a "volunteer ebuild", and move it
24 forward.
25
26 It would also be nice if there was a single, "temporary homeless" list
27 of ebuilds belonging to folks who will be out of town for a while - this
28 would be a "one-stop" page to notify designated backup people, and
29 others who could keep an eye on the distributions.)
30
31 3. If a volunteer ebuild isn't proofread, it could contain a bug. (you
32 don't know me.)
35 > P.S. A good place to start in writing an e-build for a new version of a
36 > package is to use the ebuild for the old version ;)
39 I'll do that; and I'll also look forward to the reply to b.n.'s request.
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list