From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 00:06:30
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 30 Jun 2012 23:01:40 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:07:30 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>> It seems to expect to keep
5 >>> only two kernels around and I'm real bad to have more than that,
6 >>> sometimes way more than that.
7 >> No it doesn't, it only installs kernels, not uninstalls them. Sure, there
8 >> are only two symlinks but those are less relevant with GRUB2 since
9 >> grub2-mkconfig creates menu entries for all your kernels anyway.
10 > Aha! This will be useful for me.
11 >
12 > I have not used make install because I found that it would override previous
13 > kernels of mine that I might needed to revert to.
14 >
15 > I remember you (or someone as knowledgeable) had mentioned of a way to
16 > automate the linkage and naming of vmlinuz so that older kernels were retained
17 > and versioned, but I never went as far as experimenting with it.
18
19 Me either. I just do it the easy way using cp. That way, I know what
20 is what and that I have not overwritten anything I might need later. I
21 like to be sure since I have had kernels with bugs for my system.
24 >>> Plus, if I do it myself, I know what I am
25 >>> doing. If I use make install, I don't know if something was changed in
26 >>> how it does it.
27 >> So you trust make to compile and link hundreds of object files and create
28 >> the kernels and modules. You also trust it to copy all the modules, but
29 >> you just want to copy that one last file manually so you can pretend you
30 >> are in control? ;-)
31 > Well, he and I are at least in control of this copying and naming actions?
32 > ;-)
33
34 I might add, I don't use modules except for nvidia which is outside the
35 kernel. So, I may be in more control than you think. ;-)
36
37 Dale
38
42 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!