From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unable to activate dma mode
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:14:07
1 On Saturday, 29 July 2006 5:16, gentuxx wrote:
2 > Raymond Lewis Rebbeck wrote:
3 > > On Friday, 28 July 2006 22:36, Stefán István wrote:
4 > >> Hello!
5 > >> I'm not able to activate dma mode for cdrom drive in my laptop.
6 > >> # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdd
7 > >>
8 > >> /dev/hdd:
9 > >> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
10 > >> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
11 > >> using_dma = 0 (off)
12 > >>
13 > >> [snip]
14 > >>
15 > >> I think the problem is that there is no driver for this chipset compiled
16 > >> into the kernel. But I don't know which driver should be compiled into.
17 > >> I tried Intel PIIXn but it didn't help.
18 > >>
19 > >> Thanks for the help in advance,
20 > >> István
21 > >
22 > > You will need to set CONFIG_IDE=n, enable SCSI cdrom support
23 > > (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR) and enable the Intel PIIX sata driver
24 > > (CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX).
25 >
26 > Isn't this deprecated? Wouldn't a better choice be to install the
27 > SATA driver ebuild? (Mainly trying to eliminate my own confusion here.)
28
29 No, libata is most certainly not deprecated and what ebuild are you talking
30 about?
33 > > DMA should then work perfectly fine. However one side effect is that your
34 > > cdrom drive will become /dev/sr0, although I guess this can be fixed
35 >
36 > with a
37 >
38 > > udev rule.