From: Xavier Parizet <xav@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [QA] The 'dropped' value in /sbin/ifconfig output
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:10:37
1 On 02/25/2010 04:36 PM, Kan-I Jyo wrote:
2 > Hello, Xavier
3 >
4 > Thank you for your prompt reply.
5 >
6 > 2010/2/25 Xavier Parizet <xav@×××××××××.com>:
7 >> Well, you're talking about two different things:
8 >> the dropped value in ifconfig output is related to Ethernet packet which
9 >> would be dropped by hardware.
10 >
11 > Yeah, you have made the things clear to me. I just wondered why would I
12 > mess them up.
13 >
14 > So, in my understanding, those packets that are dropped by iptables in fact
15 > have been received by the NICs, and that is the reason the "dropped'
16 > value are not added up.
17 >
18 > And here comes my original question: When will the 'dropped' count up?
19 > (Just want to know some general ideas)
20
21 Network failure / packet loss / invalid ethernet frames / any hardware
22 related failures which will lead to a packet drop by the hardware
23 itself. It's a means for the hardware to report to the kernel/software
24 that it ignored some packets for any reason, these reasons should be
25 found in dmesg afaik.
28 Xavier Parizet
29 YaGB : http://gentooist.com
30 GPG : C7DC B10E FC21 63BE