From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird "df" output
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 12:42:13
1 On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:52:23 -0500, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > > And an extended partition is a special type of primary partition.
4 > >
5 > > Or you can avoid all this legacy idiocy and confusion by using GPT,
6 > > which lets you have a sensible number of partitions without fragile
7 > > kludges.
8 >
9 > The entire point of my bindmounting procedure (remember the original
10 > post?) is to minimize the number of partitions without strangling root
11 > if a logger goes wild. I generally run with 3 partitions, including
12 > swap.
13
14 So if you only need 3 partitions, why bother with an extended one in the
15 first place?
16
17 I'd still use GPT, it's just so much nicer.
18
19 Or if you want to be properly bleeding edge, use btrfs and do away with
20 all that bind mounting stuff, and get even more confusing df output...
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.