From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:04:51
1 On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 02:48:58AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:50 on Friday 22 October 2010, Zeerak
3 > Mustafa Waseem did opine thusly:
4 >
5 > > > It's openrc-${PV}+1 - there's no question about that.
6 > > >
7 > > >
8 > > >
9 > > > Until someone actually ponies up and commits something other than openrc
10 > > > to the tree, it's gonna stay on openrc.
11 > > >
12 > > >
13 > > >
14 > > > I think you misunderstand what ~arch means.
15 > >
16 > > I'll gladly be explained, just in case I should have it wrong. :-)
17 > >
18 > > What I meant however was that there has been talk of starting a migration
19 > > of ~arch users to devicekit when it is deemed ready. As far as I remember
20 > > no conclusion was brought to that discussion other than openrc being moved
21 > > inhouse and seeing how that went. So the ball is still in the air as far
22 > > as openrc and a replacement goes, to my understanding.
25 > ~arch is the collection of unstable ebuilds in portage; stuff that is good
26 > enough for a release but not yet fully tested within a Gentoo system. With
27 > enough successful feedback from users, it is marked stable and moves to
28 > "arch".
29 >
30 > ~arch is not experimental, stuff planned for the future, someone's wicked
31 > overlay or anything else other than stable releases in a *gentoo* test phase,
32 > i.e. it's not so much the software that's being tested but the ebuild.
35 <snip>
36
37 It seems I understood then, though it seems I haven't clearly portrayed my understanding, but thanks for explaining anyway :)
38
39 > devicekit stands very little chance of ever being the default. It depends on
40 > dbus and expat. Remember hal and all the crap that came along with it? Gentoo
41 > is not Ubuntu or Fedora, it is installable on anything from ARM phones to
42 > IBM's gigantic hard iron. Why on earth would anyone mandate dbus to be
43 > compulsory on a headless server for example?
44 >
45 > If you want to know what the future holds for Gentoo, best not to listen much
46 > to a bunch of dudes rambling on gentoo-dev and blogs. They're just talking,
47 > and talk is cheap. If you want to know what the future holds for @system and
48 > the toolchain, vapier is a good one to listen to. So's the council, GLEPs and
49 > whatever happens in voting. The kong thread that's been mentioned in this
50 > thread has a gem of a quote from vapier, something like:
51 >
52 > "People saw Roy moving away from Gentoo, and freaked out."
53 >
54 > That's it, nothing more. Some dudes freaked out.
55 >
56 > Besides, lookee here:
57 >
58 > nazgul ~ # eix -e devicekit
59 > * sys-apps/devicekit
60 > Available versions: (~)003 {doc}
61 > Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit
63 > listening for device events using udev
64 >
65 > nazgul ~ # eix -e dbus-glib
66 > [I] dev-libs/dbus-glib
67 > Available versions: 0.86 (~)0.88 {bash-completion debug doc static-libs
68 > test}
69 > Installed versions: 0.88(00:25:33 12/10/10)(bash-completion -debug -doc
70 > -static-libs -test)
71 > Homepage: http://dbus.freedesktop.org/
74 > nazgul ~ # eix systemd
75 > No matches found.
76 >
77 > devicekit has one version (003) and systemd doesn't even have an ebuild in the
78 > tree. That system is probably sitting about where openrc was when Roy had
79 > gotten to 20% of where he eventually took it.
80 >
81 > openrc works, it has three outstanding edge case blocker bugs. What possible
82 > technical reason is there to go chasing butterflies down some totally unproven
83 > path?
86 In this case I'm completely with you. While there are nifty features in systemd it is nothing that can't be achieved by other means and openrc really does work brilliantly (for me) so I'm not exactly against systemd, I just don't see a point in using it. Other than aligning with other distros, but then what's the point of having different distributions if they all are alike :)
89 Zeerak Waseem