From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Centrino 2 -- Have to wait?
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 20:02:53
1 On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@×××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hey list,
3 >
4 > I have just received my new notebook, a Dell Latitude E6400. Of course, I
5 > now want to install linux on it. The problem is that the Gentoo minimal
6 > install cd recognizes neither the ethernet nor the wireless cards.
7 >
8 > Is the network card in this laptop (an Intel 82567LM Gigabit network
9 > controller) supported in the newest linux kernel or will I have to wait?
10 >
11 > If it is supported, how would I go about booting with a newer kernel?
12
13 If you can find any Linux boot CD (Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc) that can get
14 you attached to your network, then you can use that to install Gentoo.
15 Check "Alternative Installation Method" in the Gentoo installation
16 manual.
17
18 Alternatively, there should be a linux driver for your ethernet
19 controller on Intel's site. If you can download it on another machine
20 and copy it to your new one, maybe you can compile & load the module
21 during the installation.
22
23 Good luck!
24 Paul