From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 07:42:50
1 Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > On the issue of whether ZFS can be shipped with the Linux kernel, FreeBSD includes ZFS with the kernel, binary and source.
4 >
5 > So does that mean it would be OK for Linux too?
6 >
7 > FreeBSD has a different license (BSD) than Linux (GPL 2 or 3).
8
9 For FreeBSD, things are less easy than for Linux.
10
11 FreeBSD comes with a license that gives real freedom and the CDDL
12 being copyleft, is a license that intentionally limits the freedom a bit
13 in order to achieve other benefits.
14
15 The GPL limits freedom in a way far beyond what the CDDl does.
16 Adding code (ZFS) that gives more freedom than the base project (Linux)
17 is easy...
18
19 It however was a real challenge for me to convince the FreeBSD people in early
20 2006 to add something to their code that reduces the freedom of the FreeBSD
21 project. I succeeded because I could explain them that ZFS is not code that is
22 _needed_ in order to run FreeBSD - you just could use their UFS variant instead.
23 The same arguments worked for integrating DTrace into FreeBSD.
26 Jörg
29 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
30 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)
31 joerg.schilling@××××××××××××××××.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/