From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:42:31
1 walt wrote:
2 > On 12/19/2010 05:28 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> I want fireball to get a fixed IP from the router and I want smoker
4 > > to get a fixed IP from the router. I think I know how to do that much.
5 >
6 > When I first set up my TrendNet router I worried about that, too. After
7 > spending many hours doing exactly what you're doing, I finally noticed
8 > that the DHCP server running on the router always assigned each machine
9 > the same IP address anyway, so I gave up and used the default router
10 > settings for everything and got fixed IP addresses by default.
11 >
12 > I believe the router assigns IP addresses based on the MAC address of
13 > each ethernet chip. At least the router's configuration menu lets me
14 > make adjustments based on MAC addresses, but I'm just guessing there.
15 >
16 > If your router does the same, you can add smoker and fireball to your
17 > /etc/hosts using the IP addresses that your router (always) assigns
18 > them, so you can address them each by name on your local network.
19 >
20 > I also noticed by using a port scanner on my router that it listens
21 > on port 23 as well as port 80, so I can telnet to the router and really
22 > look under the hood at its linux guts. I don't think the manual gave
23 > that secret away, IIRC.
26 I noticed the modem does the same thing too. When I plug the router
27 into the modem, it gets a different IP. The router does the same tho I
28 think. Since I got it set up this way and it works, I better leave well
29 enough alone. ;-)
30
31 Dale
32