From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: I finally ditched acroread
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 16:01:53
1 On 2016-10-23, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 23 Oct 2016 21:53:56 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2016-10-23, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > On Sunday 23 Oct 2016 00:32:02 Grant Edwards wrote:
5 >> >>
6 >> >> For the past several years, I've had to keep acroread installed on one
7 >> >> of my desktop machines because I occasionally need to use the "print
8 >> >> current view" feature to print a portion of a page of a PDF document
9 >> >> (usually a section of a sechematic or a table out of a data sheet).
10 >>
11 >> [...]
12 >>
13 >> > I haven't used acroread or Qoppa's PDFStudio, but qpdfview and okular will
14 >> > copy and save selections as images, which you can save and print
15 >> > thereafter.
16 >> Does it save them in a vector format so that they scale and print
17 >> properly, or does it rasterize them?
18 >
19 > Ahh! These apps offer Save As png/jpeg formats only.
20
21 That can be useful if there aren't any other options, but it tends to
22 be a hassle. You have to crank up the DPI setting pretty high on the
23 rasterization operation, and then you end up with image files that
24 some printers seem to choke on. Our (admittedly ancient) LasertJet
25 8150 seems to be particulary bad handling large, hi-DPI image files.
28 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! HOORAY, Ronald!!
29 at Now YOU can marry LINDA
30 gmail.com RONSTADT too!!