From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Core i7 M620 power management problem
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 02:57:42
1 On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com<paul.hartman%2Bgentoo@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
6 > I ran cpufreq-info on my i7 920, and everything looked normal for mine
7 > compared to yours. And I have tens of thousands of transitions on each
8 > CPU (currently at 8 days uptime)
9 >
10 > Can you use cpufreq-set to change the max limit or lock it to a higher
11 > speed? If it works, that's a good sign... if it gets changed back
12 > maybe some userspace powersaving program is messing with it. Like
13 > gnome/KDE or something. If you boot to console and don't start X, does
14 > this problem still happen? I wonder if it happens in X maybe the few
15 > times at greater speeds happened before X loaded. Just a WAG. :)
16 >
17 > For example, on my laptop (not an i7, but an old Athlon from 2004),
18 > the KDE laptop powersaving stuff does not work properly, it either
19 > locks me at slowest speed, or highest speed, or... but I think in my
20 > case it's related to the corrupt DSDT, crappy BIOS and complete
21 > inability for it to read the battery state most of the time... It
22 > doesn't know if it's plugged in or on battery, or how much battery
23 > life is left, or it thinks 84% remains and that number never changes
24 > (until laptop suddenly dies without warning). Of course all of that
25 > works perfectly fine in Windows on the same machine...
26 >
27 > In my kernel config on my i7, in the cpufreq sections I have this:
28 >
29 > #
30 > # CPU Frequency scaling
31 > #
32 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
33 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
34 > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
35 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
36 > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
37 > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
38 > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
39 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
40 > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
41 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
42 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
43 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
44 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
45 > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y
46 >
47 > #
48 > # CPUFreq processor drivers
49 > #
50 > # CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ is not set
51 > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
52 > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
53 > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
54 > # CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD is not set
57 > I can send you my entire .config if you want to compare.
60 Yes, mine is quite similar:
61
62 # CPU Frequency scaling
63 #
64 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
65 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
66 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG=y
67 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
68 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
69 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
70 # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
71 # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
72 # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
73 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
74 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
75 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
76 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
77 CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y
78
79 #
80 # CPUFreq processor drivers
81 #
82 # CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ is not set
83 CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
84 # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
85 # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
86 # CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD is not set
87
88 #
89 # shared options
90 #
91 # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB is not set
92 CONFIG_CPU_IDLE=y
93 CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_LADDER=y
94 CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_MENU=y
95 CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y
96
97 I do run KDE but it is independent of KDE. I don't run kdm by default, just
98 the console, and it is still the same. In fact, the KDE power stuff is not
99 even around. Could that mean it's just a USE flag issue? It doesn't seem it
100 because I have acpi and udev.
103 Bill Longman