From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Firefox's "Connecting"
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:17:02
1 > > > Sounds like a routing problem of sorts to me, apache ( afaik ) has no
2 > > > impact on /ping/ times. My favourite tool for finding traffic problems
3 > > > is "mtr" , see packet loss and route and where packet loss is occuring
4 > > > all at once :) Sometimes it will report 100% packet loss on a middle
5 > > > step if that server ignores pings tho, .. .so...
6 > >
7 > > But the ping times are normal. I'm having problems with the site
8 > > intermittently hanging while I'm browsing, even as ping times are
9 > > coming back normal. That's what makes me think it should be a problem
10 > > with the software on the server. Does that sound right?
11 >
12 > no, not to me. Ping only starts counting time once it's resolved the
13 > name (I think), so if your ping times are normal, but the delay between
14 > pings takes a long time, then there's possibly a name resolution
15 > problem... or at least that's what I've seen in the past...
16
17 That makes sense. My host has fixed some kind of a problem on their
18 end, so hopefully that was the cause of this. Thanks a lot for
19 everyone's help.
20
21 - Grant
22 --