From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia w/ water cooling?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 01:33:06
1 On 11/20/06, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Would you know if there are any gotcha's with using SLI video cards?
3
4 Hmm, don't know. I know that nVidia's README says that multiple
5 monitors and a couple of other features do not work with SLI enabled.
6 But I guess I would trust these guys when they say that linux users
7 get no benefits from SLI:
8
9 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=582&num=1
10
11 Honestly, if I were putting dual graphics boards in my system for
12 linux, I'd probably want to hook 4 nice monitors up to it and make a
13 *really* big desktop.
14
15 > It seems
16 > this is getting harder and harder to avoid with current motherboards... From
17 > what I understan (yuk yuk) the SLI video looks just like AGP cards. Sound
18 > right?
19
20 I'm not sure what you mean here? Did you confuse PCI-Express (PCIe) and SLI?
21
22 It is getting very hard to find (new) boards that support AGP
23 graphics, but you probably really want PCIe anyway in a new system.
24 There is not any really significant difference between AGP and PCIe
25 busses for linux.
26
27 In addition, many motherboards have dual PCIe-x16 slots to support two
28 graphics boards, and also support SLI for linking the boards together.
29 But none of these boards require SLI to be used...they work perfectly
30 well with a single graphics board, and you can even use the other
31 PCIe-x16 slot for something else.
32
33 -Richard
34 --