From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Wireless DHCP takes over resolv.conf
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 21:04:02
1 On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 11/07/2016 22:29, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> why don't you go with the dns server addresses supplied by each
6 >>> network's dhcp? Presumably the admin put them their because they
7 >>> work on that network.
8 >>
9 >> One might think that, but I find it often not to be the case. I can
10 >> recall many networks where the DNS servers returned by the DHCP server
11 >> didn't work well at all, and things got a _lot_ better when I manually
12 >> configured a couple working DNS servers (e.g. the Google ones at
13 >> 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Around here, Comcast's DNS servers are famously
14 >> bad.
15
16 > Then shoot the idiot running that wireless network.
17
18 You're not actually allowed to do that General Dreedle...
19
20 > If he's one of my juniors, tell me so I can fire him (as he's just
21 > proved he can't do the job he's paid to do)
22
23 And if you're at a customer or vendor site? A friend's or relative's
24 house? Using a municiple WiFi system? Using WiFi on an airplane,
25 bus, train, whatever?
26
27 Sometimes you just need to get along with people and get some work
28 done. You always can't demand that things get done your way or
29 somebody's gonna get fired or taken out back and beaten...
32 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... I think I'd
33 at better go back to my DESK
34 gmail.com and toy with a few common
35 MISAPPREHENSIONS ...