From: Saphirus Sage <saphirus497@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] spontaneous reboots.. what to look for
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:25:49
1 On Feb 15, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com
2 > wrote:
3
4 > So the problem started recently.
5 >
6 > That means it is either:
7 > a cap going bad.
8 > oxidized contacts.
9 > dust clogging the fans.
10 > PSU is going bad.
11 > something obscure.
12 >
13 > Do the easy thing first. Clean your case, reseat all cards and
14 > memory modules
15 > and check all caps while doing so. Any of them deformed? The 'head'
16 > going up?
17 > Strange stuff around its feet? Congratulation, you need new hardware.
18 >
19 > If you don't find a bad cap and the problem persists, get a new PSU.
20 > A good
21 > one. Not big - most PSUs are oversized, but good quality. Anandtech
22 > has
23 > something about psu's, so does tomshardware (most of their tests are
24 > rubbish,
25 > but their psu tests are ok). If the problem goes away, congratulation!
26 > If not, well, then report back ;)
27 >
28 I had a similar issue even when not running X. To be honest, I can't
29 say I have a concrete idea of exactly what caused it. I simply became
30 security-nuts and began wondering if it wasn't someone just toying
31 with me; hardened my sshd config and installed denyhosts to monitor
32 failed loggins. This was a month ago and my uptime has been perfect,
33 with no restarts.