From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 05:01:07
1 On 2021-11-29 22:47-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Now if I can figure out how to reset the list of /dev/sd* names that
4 > are lurking about and inconsistent, that would be like striking gold.
5 > Every time I hook up my external drive, it gets a different sd*
6 > name.  It does the same on the SD cards from my trail cameras too but
7 > I can auto mount those.
8
9 I don't think it is possible to get consistent sd* names for removable
10 media. But you could use volume labels with `tune2fs -L` or `tune.exfat
11 -L` or `fatlabel` and then mount them via /dev/disk/by-label/*.
12
13 Kind regards, tastytea
16 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
17 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.