From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:23:05
1 Hi, Michael.
2
3 On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 05:33:34PM +0200, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
4 > Hi Alan,
5
6 > On Monday, 12. September 2011 15:02:48 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
7
8 > > Hope nobody minds me starting a new thread with an accurate name.
9
10 > > Which version of udev is it that has this nauseating feature of needing
11 > > /usr loaded to boot?
12
13 > > Somewhere in that version's source will be several (or lots of) "/usr".
14 > > Just how difficult is it going to be to replace "/usr/bin" with "/bin"
15 > > throughout the source?
16
17 > you misunderstood something. udev is able to run arbitrary scripts. Some of
18 > those scripts are located in /usr/* or need something there. I doubt you will
19 > find references to /usr in the udev-sources.
20
21 Well, I'm a hacker. udev is free source, therefore fair game. I don't
22 intend to put up with this nonsense without a fight. As far as I can
23 make out, this is just one guy, Kay Sievers, who's on a power trip. Are
24 there any indications at all that he actually talked to anybody in the
25 wide world before making such a far reaching decision?
26
27 On my current system, udev (164-r2) works without an earlily loaded /usr.
28 Seemingly, later versions don't. That was why I was asking for somebody
29 to identify one of these later versions for me.
30
31 > > udev is part of the kernel.
32
33 > No. udev is usperspace.
34
35 OK, udev is in userspace, _very_ _close_ to the kernel. ;-)
36
37 > > How come the kernel hackers aren't up in arms about this as much as
38 > > we are? Or are they, maybe? In which case, maybe the kernel people
39 > > would welcome an option to disrequire the early mounting of /usr as
40 > > much as we would.
41
42 > > Anyhow, I'd like to take a peek at the source code which does this evil
43 > > thing. Would somebody please tell me which version of udev is involved.
44
45 > Every udev version works this way.
46
47 My udev (164-r2) is just fine at the moment. I'm not sure what you mean
48 by that statement.
49
50 > Fixing udev to continue working with separate /usr is far from trivial imo.
51 > Changing some paths is not the way to go for sure.
52
53 Maybe, maybe not. But it seems a changing of paths (/ -> /usr) is
54 precisely what is breaking newer udevs. It might be possible to change
55 them back. This could involve moving a fair amount of stuff from /usr to
56 /, but not half as much as moving the entire /usr partition.
57
58 > First of all, udev has to distinguish between "device not present" and "script
59 > error of some kind". Failing scripts have to be queued somehow for later
60 > execution. If a script keeps failing, it has to be removed from that queue,
61 > with a message to syslog or something like that. If udev needs a script in
62 > /usr/* to mount /usr then there's a chicken-egg-problem, which could be hard
63 > to solve (if possible at all without moving things from /usr/ to /).
64 > Note, that I am wild guessing here, I did not study the udev sources or any
65 > related script/rule :)
66
67 This sounds like a separate (if related) problem.
68
69 > > Thanks.
70
71 > Best,