From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:50:40
1 On 27 October 2011 09:15, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm wanting to get a hard drive that is pretty good size.  I'm looking for
5 > about 1 to 2TBs or so.  Thing is, a lot of them seem to be 5900 or even 5400
6 > rpm drives.  I realize that the data on there is packed pretty tight so I
7 > want to ask a few people that may have one or more of these things a few
8 > questions.  Are they as fast as a slower RPM drive?  Would they be fast
9 > enough to play HD videos and such?  I have quite a few 1080 HD videos.  I
10 > don't want the drive to cause issues.
11
12 Ignoring your question somewhat, since the hdparm test won't actually
13 get you 'effective' throughput, only 'ideal'.
14
15 ( (4.4*1024*1024*1024) / (120*60) ) / 1024
16 640.796
17
18 So a 4.4GiB movie that lasts 2 hours would require a sustained drive
19 throughput of 640KiB/s - which is pretty achievable.
20
21 My experience says that it doesn't matter how slow a drive you use,
22 provided that you beef up mplayer's cache size and minimum cache
23 threshold, since my laptop has a slow drive that likes to power down,
24 but loads of RAM.
25
26 >> grep cache /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
27 # cache settings
28 # Use 8MB input cache by default.
29 cache = 131072
30 # Prefill 20% of the cache before starting playback.
31 cache-min = 20.0
32 # Prefill 50% of the cache before restarting playback after the cache emptied.
33 cache-seek-min = 50