From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gummibootx64.efi OR bootx64.efi?
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 07:41:48
1 On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 11:11 PM, German <gentgerman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Out of curiosity I looked into my /boot partition and found two .efi
4 files. One is /boot/efi/gummiboot/gummibootx64.efi and another is
5 /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi. I remember I've created
6 /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi during install by copying kernel image file to
7 it and supposedly it was for efibootmng. I think gummiboot has created its
8 own gummibootx64.efi. Is that safe to delete */boot/bootx64.efi? Thanks
9
10 They are the same image; do an md5sum of both, you'll see that they have
11 the same checksum.
12
13 I believe Boot/BOOTX64.EFI is the default location where the "BIOS" (or
14 whatever is called in UEFI systems) looks for an image to boot,
15 and gummiboot/gummibootx64.efi is just a copy. I'm not sure, but I would
16 not delete it: gummiboot creates both copies of the file.
17
18 Regards.
19 --
20 Canek Peláez Valdés
21 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias