From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can anyone tell me?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 17:58:32
1 On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 12:03:44 -0500
2 Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > I find these paragraphs to be rude and insulting. I am not an idiot
5 > - I know exactly what "testing" means, and what "unstable" means.
6 > Just because I ask a relatively simple question in this group does
7 > not mean that I am "not prepared to deal with the occasional
8 > problem". Were that the case, I would not be working with computers
9 > at all, since all operating systems and distributions have an
10 > "occasional problem" even in their "stable" branches.
11 >
12 > Chris
13
14 If I may speak for Neil, he provides a lot of very useful information
15 to the list and is a very courteous poster as well. In my mind, that
16 little lemming that somehow appears along with his emails is
17 the sign of a good addition to the thread. I'm sure he didn't
18 mean to insult you. I hope that you agree that even though you started
19 the thread, the information he gave could be useful to others reading
20 it. I thought it was an informative and well-written post myself, not
21 that yours aren't, but don't be too defensive. We're all here to learn
22 (and perhaps to teach, occasionally at least ;) )
23
24 to answer your original question succinctly:
25
26 > Can anyone tell me what packages you know of that will break your
27 > system if you choose to put "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~amd64" in your make.conf
28 > file?
29
30 no, no one can tell until they are tested, and then they will be marked
31 stable.
32
33 If I may take a moment to make a few (friendly and respectful!)
34 criticisms of your post, that may have given people the wrong
35 impression, I think there are probably two things that may have done
36 so: firstly, your subject line was 'Can anyone help me?' Sure, you're
37 asking for help, but a more relevant subject line would have nicely
38 synopsized your post. Most people that start a thread here _are_
39 looking for help, after all. Secondly, I think this:
40
41 >I do know that the only way to fix the problem was to restore from
42 >backup, or to try re-installing again. I just want to know which
43 >packages are so unstable that I should mask them.
44
45 definitely made my blood boil a little. It sounds as if, with your gawk case
46 here, a careful analysis of the log files could have perhaps provided
47 you with a few fundamentals from /usr/lib that were missing and only
48 needed to be copied over to / before /usr or /usr/lib was mounted from
49 it's seperate filesystem. (I am just guessing that's how Neil solved
50 this particular problem, although I wouldn't know.) Saying that the
51 only way to fix a particular problem is by replacing the software with
52 a working version is very rarely the case.
53
54 I hope you can understand how that could give us a little bit of a bad
55 first impression here on the lists, because it consists of a lot of
56 serious gentooers that all seem to share a dislike of reinstalls and
57 backup restorations rather than responding to particular error messages
58 and resolving their problems that way. Perhaps it's just the gentoo
59 way - reinstalling seems to be very popular in ubuntu.
60
61 Anyhow, my advice to you is to do what many, including myself do - save
62 yourself the headache of running ~amd64, and only use package.keywords
63 to unmask packages as necessary.
64
65 Good luck, and may you withhold judgment of me as I have of you,
66
67 Dan Farrell
68 --
69 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list