From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:06:29
1 > > Where do you guys store your backups? Leaving backups on a DVD in the
2 > > same apartment as the machines doesn't make too much sense to me.
3 > > Maybe I should mail em to my parents every week or something?
4 > >
5 > > - Grant
6 >
7 > Offsite backups are a good idea if your data is important to you. I
8 > have several servers around the world so setting up rsync mirrors is
9 > pretty painless. Then I burn to DVD remotely.. (I have trained people
10 > enough so that when the tray opens they replace the DVD with a blank)
11 >
12 > You might want to look at doing a stage 4 backup and then sending
13 > that file to one of those online storage services. A quick google
14 > shows there are many out there offering 2-25GB of free storage. There
15 > are some non-free services designed specifically for backup where you
16 > don't pay to upload but do pay when you want to get your data (which
17 > given it is a backup I assume you would be highly motivated to pay if
18 > a restore is required) A few months back I looked into Amazon's S3 to
19 > automate offsite storage of backups. I never implemented anything
20 > though.
21 >
22 > I would encrypt anything sent to one of those online storage services.
23
24 Encryption yeah. How do you encrypt your stuff?
25
26 - Grant
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list