From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 23:41:09
1 On 09/28/2013 12:31 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 07:32:20PM -0500, Bruce Hill wrote:
4 >>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 05:57:06PM -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Bruce Hill wrote:
6 >>>>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 05:33:02PM -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>>>>> I'm hoping that since I use eudev, I don't have to worry about this.
8 >>>>>> If I do, this could get interesting, again. Dale
9 >>>>> Do you have /usr separate from / ?
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Yep. From my understanding tho, eudev is not supposed to be affected by
12 >>>> this problem tho.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> One reason for this being seperate, I have / and /boot on a regular
15 >>>> partition and everything else on LVM. Sometimes that /usr gets a bit
16 >>>> full. It's not so bad after I moved all the portage stuff out and put
17 >>>> it in /var. Now I have to watch /var too. lol
18 >>>>
19 >>>> Dale
20 >>>
21 >>> You need to read the blog post listed in the news item, as it's not just
22 >>> specific to udev anymore.
23 >>
24 >> Bruce is correct; This issue is not specific to udev/eudev/mdev.
25 >>
26 >> I suppose that what I am about to say isn't really relevant, but it is
27 >> unfortunate over the past year that people blamed udev specifically for
28 >> this. It is true that it does things that don't work if /usr isn't
29 >> mounted, but eudev does as well, since it is basically the same code.
30 >>
31 >> If you read flameeyes' blog post, you will get a better idea of what the
32 >> issue involves. It is the entire boot process and how to deal with which
33 >> software is considered critical for booting.
34 >>
35 >> There is no reason to rebuild your server; we aren't telling you you
36 >> have to merge /usr into /. The only thing we are saying is that you will
37 >> need to use an initramfs if you are going to keep them separate.
38 >>
39 >> I have a pretty simple setup, but I have been using an initramfs which I
40 >> built some time ago with genkernel and I barely know it is there.
41 >>
42 >> I recommend that you familiarize yourself with genkernel or dracut and
43 >> build an initramfs. Since nothing is changing until at least
44 >> Nov 1, you can test your initramfs by adding an entry to your boot
45 >> loader configuration that uses it and get it set up correctly while you
46 >> can still fall back on booting without it.
47 >>
48 >> I do not recommend that anyone who has separate /usr "do nothing" at
49 >> this point. Please re-read the second paragraph of the news item.
50 >>
51 >> Thanks,
52 >>
53 >> William
56 > One thing that you seem to be missing here. Before Gentoo, I used
57 > Mandrake. It had a init thingy. It caused me much grief and is one
58 > reason I left Mandrake. I also didn't like the upgrade process either
59 > but one reason I chose Gentoo is no init thingy. I wanted to be rid of
60 > that. Now, whether it is udev or not, here comes that stupid init
61 > thingy just because someone doesn't want to put files where they should
62 > be which is not inside /usr.
63 >
64 > So, given my history with the init thingy, if I do use a init thingy and
65 > it fails for whatever reason, I'll be installing something else. I done
66 > went down the road of trying to fix one of those stupid things and I
67 > have no plan or desire to do so again. I'm also not going to spend
68 > hours reinstalling Gentoo either. If, more than likely when, the init
69 > thingy fails, I'll be installing something else and I'll most my last
70 > sign off message here. One thing about Linux, there are plenty of
71 > distros to pick from . I love Gentoo but I like to be able to boot up
72 > without dealing with a init thingy that I have to fix when it goes belly
73 > up.
74 >
75 > Dale
76 >
77 > :-) :-)
78 >
79 > --
80 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
81 > how you interpreted my words!
84 The best path for you seems to be a merge of / and /usr. I asked Alan
85 how to do this since he seemed knowledgeable about it. If he replies,
86 maybe his advice will be handy and save you a lot of trouble. It seems
87 clear to me that you want to avoid trouble, but looking at your options,
88 putting /usr in / is probably the least painful thing you can do, and it
89 won't require an initramfs. I don't like initramfs's either, but that's
90 because I'm lazy and don't like maintaining more than two things (kernel
91 and GRUB config) in order to boot.
92
93 Other distros use initramfs's for the most part, and more and more are
94 using systemd. Gentoo is pretty much one of the last distros that
95 supports booting without an initramfs and without systemd.