From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Photo management programs
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 06:29:02
1 On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > So I take a lot of pictures. A *lot* of pictures. Sometimes around
3 > 500/month, sometimes twice that if I manage to get out more. I've got
4 > a large number of 'DCIM' directories from different cameras, different
5 > camera models, etc, going back ten years. Sometimes in JPG, sometimes
6 > RAW, sometimes both.
7 >
8 > And I've never really managed them well.
9 >
10 > Does anyone have any photo management tool they like? I've got bits of
11 > Qt and Gtk installed already, and while I'd prefer to avoid pulling in
12 > a full desktop environment, I might--if the tool is good enough. It
13 > would have to:
14 >
15 > * Handle RAW (via libraw or dcraw is fine), JPEG, PNG[1] and TIFF[1]
16 > content and metadata
17 > * Index by metadata, including things like the recording camera's
18 > serial number[2]
19 > * Not be destructive, or ambiguous about being destructive, on image
20 > import. I tried using Amarok to organize my music, which is in similar
21 > disarray, and I was never sure if it was being destructive about the
22 > source files/folders. So I made copies. Which ultimately added to the
23 > disarray.
24
25 I think Digikam can do all of it and more. :) Not sure how much of KDE
26 it will require...
27
28 Check out the features list at:
29 http://www.digikam.org/drupal/features