From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: power requirement (WAS: smartctrl drive error @60%)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:33:42
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 08:15:57AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> About the only time I shutdown is when the power fails. My puter only
4 >> pulls about 150 watts so I just leave it running 24/7.
5 > Gosh, power must be really cheap in your corner of the world (or is it just
6 > stupidly expensive over here?) I wouldn’t call 150 W “only”, especially for
7 > a 24/7 device. Or is that the maximum under load?
8 >
9 > Right now I have a Pentium 4 3 GHz heater sitting under the desk -- I got it
10 > last year for free from a company that had written it off. It idles at 95 W
11 > and reaches around 130 (or was it 150) under load. When I sit at the desk, I
12 > notice the warm air rising from underneath because over time it dries up my
13 > eyes. ^^
14 > Add to that an old 17″ CCFL monitor (25 W) and consider my use scheme,
15 > that’s almost 1 kWh per day (don’t know exact prices, but 1 kWh costs around
16 > 25-30¢ right now).
17 >
18 > I am so looking forward to the new machine I’m going to build in very few
19 > months. Haswell idles at under 20 W. 8-)
20 > (I know: today’s power requirement to manufacture chips is also ridonculous,
21 > too, but considering all other benefits and my usual consumption behavior
22 > over the years, I have a clean concience *g*)
23
24 Well, that power does include monitor, modem, router and such. I figure
25 those don't pull very much. I think the most my newer monitor will pull
26 is 40 watts. I was sort of comparing to my old puter that pulled about
27 500 watts with a old CRT monitor. It ran 24/7 as well. My TV runs
28 pretty much 24/7 too. If I am compiling something that really has the
29 CPU and such running pretty hard, it will go to about 180 watts. That's
30 the most I have ever seen at least. Those readings come from the
31 display on my UPS.
32
33 I think our power here is around 7¢ a KW. If ours ever gets to 30¢,
34 well, let's just say that someone is going to be ducking. Folks here
35 won't tolerate that. It could get really ugly.
36
37 Dale
38